Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Psalm 51: Wisdom is a Person

Sin is all about foolishness. Sinners are fools who're able to convince themselves that they're wise. When I sin I convince myself that my way is better than God's way, that my thoughts are wiser than God's thoughts, that what I desire is better than what God has planned for me. Sin is all about how a fool is able to swindle himself into thinking that what's wrong is actually right.

Think of sin in its original form in that awful moment in the Garden. There would have been no disobedience if Adam and Eve had refused to listen to the voice of another counselor. What was this counselor seeking to get them to do? He was enticing them to question, if but for a moment, the wisdom of God. He was enticing them to think that he was wiser than Wisdom himself. And he was temping them to believe that they could be as wise as God.

Check out what Moses records as being one of the things that attracted Adam and Eve to the forbidden fruit. Here's what's said in Genesis 3:6b, "and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise." Now this phrase is worth unpacking.

You and I will never understand the full range of the temptation of Adam and Eve, David, or ourselves until we understand the fundamental nature of wisdom. Wisdom, in its purest form, is not an outline, it's not a theology, it's not a book, it's not a system of logic. Wisdom is a Person. You don't get wisdom by experience, research, or logical deduction. You don't get wisdom by education and experimentation. You get wisdom by means of a relationship to the One who is the source of everything that's wise, good and true. In talking of Christ in Colossians 2:3, Paul says that "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" are hidden in Christ.

Adam and Eve had all the wisdom they needed, no, not in their independent ability to figure themselves and life out, but in the relationship they had with Wisdom; a relationship that hadn't yet been tainted by sin. Tragically, they took the bait, turned their back on Wisdom, and received the exact opposite of what the snake had promised them; foolishness. This act of foolishness and disobedience began a storm of foolishness that has flooded humanity ever since.

No longer wise, now born into the world as fools, we all need to be rescued from ourselves. And yet, even though there's empirical evidence that we're fools (debt, addiction, obesity, conflict, anger, fear, discouragement, fear of man, etc...), we convince ourselves that we're wise and head confidently down pathways that lead to destruction and death. The way that seems wise to us isn't wise and the way that is wise looks to us to be the way of the fool. You can't argue us into wisdom, because every wise thing you would say is filtered through the grid of our own foolishness.

And so, we need what David needed. Blinded by his own false wisdom and able to take tragically foolish actions that would forever alter his life, David needed rescue. No, he didn't need rescue from Bathsheba. No, he didn't need rescue from the temptations that accompany positions of power. No, David need to be rescued from himself. He was held by the hands of his own foolishness. What David needed was Wisdom to come near and break David's hold on David. Like us, David needed the rescue of the Wisdom Redeemer. Then and only then would he be wise. Then and only then would he see, confess, and turn from the foolishness that had so deceived him.

Thankfully, the One who is Wisdom is also a God of grace. He delights in transforming the hearts of fools. He finds joy in gifting us with the wisdom that can only be found when He's in us and we're in Him.

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When I sin I convince myself that my way is better than God's way, that my thoughts are wiser than God's thoughts, that what I desire is better than what God has planned for me..."

Thank You for explaining it this way. How often I have been guilty of convincing myself that what I desire is better than what God has planned for me. Thankfully He will point out the errors of my way, but it's up to me to listen to Him.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Christine said...

I read this post via a friend on Xanga and I'm very glad.

The comment that someone made before mine brought something that I wrote today to mind... I want to share and encourage... "God has been teaching me (and I'm learning) how to love Him (God) with everything I am and the most awesome part about it all is that to have progress... I have to decrease. So instead of it being like the world's standard of progress where I have to increase in some way... the standard of progress that the Father is looking for is for us to decrease so that we can increase In Him!!! His yoke is easy, His burden is light. Amazing!!

The more I let Him change and sanctify me, the more useful I am to Him."

Nothing ground shattering in itself, but the process of letting my Father walk through my life cleaning and impacting my head and heart and walk... Priceless! Praising You Jesus!!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
prada outlet, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, gucci handbags, ralph lauren polo, cheap jordans, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, nike free, christian louboutin, uggs outlet, tiffany jewelry, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, longchamp bags, uggs on sale, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, louis vuitton handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin uk, michael kors, tory burch outlet, burberry factory outlet, prada handbags

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

swarovski jewelry, coach outlet, links of london uk, canada goose, canada goose pas cher, moncler, barbour, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, supra shoes, converse, wedding dresses uk, pandora charms, canada goose uk, karen millen uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton uk, pandora uk, replica watches, moncler, moncler pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, swarovski uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, moncler, converse shoes outlet, bottes ugg pas cher, barbour jackets uk, canada goose jackets, hollister, marc jacobs, thomas sabo uk, ugg uk, toms shoes, moncler uk, sac louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, gucci, pandora jewelry, moncler jackets, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel
ninest123 16.03

 

Post a Comment

<< Home