Monday, June 04, 2007

Psalm 51: The Lord's Prayer

I don't think you could say more dangerous words than these. I don't think you could pray a more radical prayer. I don't think you could wish for something that will turn your life more upside down than this. I think that most of the people who say these words would probably hesitate if they really understood what they were saying. I think we would all pause before we repeated this prayer if we clearly understood that we were actually praying upheaval into our lives. This is simply a prayer that can't be answered without the tearing down and rebuilding of many things in our lives. Had David prayed and lived this prayer, Psalm 51 wouldn't be in the Bible.

Here are the radical words I have been alluding to, "Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." I must admit that I don't always greet God's kingdom with delight. There are things that I want in my life and I not only want them, but I know how, when, and where I want them! I want my life to be comfortable. I want my schedule to be unobstructed and predictable. I want the people around me to esteem and appreciate me. I want control over the situations and relationships in my life. I want people to affirm my opinions and follow my lead. I want the pleasures that I find entertaining to be available to me. I want the ministry initiatives I direct to be well received and successful. I want my children to appreciate that they have been blessed with me as their father. I want my wife to be a joyful and committed supporter my dreams. I don't want to suffer. I don't want to live without. I don't want to have to deal with personal defeat or ministry failure. What I am saying is that I want my kingdom to come and my will to be done.

In this way, I stand with David. In David's kingdom, Bathsheba would be his wife. In David's kingdom, Bathsheba would have had no husband. In David's kingdom he could have Bathsheba and the blessing of the Lord on his reign at the same time. So, David acted out of zeal for his own kingdom, forgetting that he was sent as the ambassador of a Greater King. Sadly, I do the very same thing. I get mad at one of my children, not because they broke God's law, but because they broke mine. I get impatient with my wife because she is delaying the realization of the purposes of my kingdom of one. Or I get discouraged with God because he brings the very uncomfortable things into my life that I work so hard to avoid.

"Thy kingdom come," is a dangerous prayer for it means the death of your own sovereignty. It means your life will be shaped by the will of another. It means that you will experience the messiness, discomfort, and difficulty of God's refining grace. It means surrendering the center of your universe to the One who alone deserves to be there. It means loving God above all else and your neighbor as yourself. It means experiencing the freedom that can only be found when God breaks your bondage to you! It means finally living for the one glory that is truly glorious, the glory of God.

You see, the prayer that Christ taught us to pray is the antidote to sin. Since sin starts with the heart, it's only when my heart desires God's will more than it desires my will, that I'll live within the moral boundaries that God has set for me. And it is only God's grace that can produce this kind of heart.

"Thy kingdom come," words of surrender, words of protection, and words of grace that can only be prayed by those who've been delivered by the Redeemer from the one kingdom that always leads to destruction and death, the kingdom of self.

5 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
prada outlet, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, gucci handbags, ralph lauren polo, cheap jordans, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, nike free, christian louboutin, uggs outlet, tiffany jewelry, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, longchamp bags, uggs on sale, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, louis vuitton handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin uk, michael kors, tory burch outlet, burberry factory outlet, prada handbags

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

lunette oakley pas cher, nike roshe run pas cher, lululemon outlet, hollister uk, jordan pas cher, coach purses, lunette ray ban pas cher, nike tn pas cher, hogan sito ufficiale, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, longchamp soldes, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors, replica handbags, michael kors, sac guess pas cher, ray ban uk, nike air max, mulberry uk, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch UK, louboutin pas cher, nike air max pas cher, coach outlet store online, nike free pas cher, true religion jeans, polo lacoste pas cher, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, ralph lauren pas cher, kate spade outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike air force, polo ralph lauren uk, hermes pas cher, michael kors uk, north face uk, timberland pas cher, vanessa bruno pas cher, nike free, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, nike air max uk, burberry pas cher, north face pas cher, converse

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

swarovski jewelry, coach outlet, links of london uk, canada goose, canada goose pas cher, moncler, barbour, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, supra shoes, converse, wedding dresses uk, pandora charms, canada goose uk, karen millen uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton uk, pandora uk, replica watches, moncler, moncler pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, swarovski uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, moncler, converse shoes outlet, bottes ugg pas cher, barbour jackets uk, canada goose jackets, hollister, marc jacobs, thomas sabo uk, ugg uk, toms shoes, moncler uk, sac louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, gucci, pandora jewelry, moncler jackets, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel
ninest123 16.03

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...


I definitely love this site
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/tatters-cleaning-companies-4.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/tatters-cleaning-companies-3.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/sofas-cleaning-companies-13.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/sofas-cleaning-companies-12.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/sofas-cleaning-companies-11.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/sofas-cleaning-companies-10.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/sofas-cleaning-companies-9.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/sofas-cleaning-companies-8.html



 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Farhan Tanvir said...

The article is very helpful, thanks for sharing information
Car Image Editing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home