Monday, October 29, 2007

Psalm 27: The Theology of Beauty

"That I might dwell in the house of the Lord to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord." (v.4)

Beauty
What is
beauty?
How is
beauty?
Where is
beauty?
Is beauty without a
beginning?
Is beauty without an
end?
Could it be that there are
only
two kinds of beauty?
In this world there is
Source beauty
and
Reflected beauty.
Source beauty is
true beauty
pure beauty
timeless beauty
independent beauty
definitional beauty
divine beauty.
Reflected beauty is
shadow beauty
tainted beauty
dependent beauty
ill-defined beauty
creation beauty.
All sin is sin against
beauty.
Idolatry puts
Reflected beauty
in
Source beauty's place.
Sin hammers reflected
beauty
into the shape of
ugly.
Sin then names ugly
beautiful.
The more distant it is from its
source
the less beauty there is to be
found
in reflected beauty.
Source beauty is not to be
manipulated
or
ignored.
It is only
ever
eternally to be
worshipped.
In the
Incarnation
the feet of beauty
touched earth
to reveal
beauty
to teach
beauty
to restore
beauty
to help beauty be
seen
experienced
worshipped
loved
in order that
in the hearts of men
Source beauty
would be restored
to its
rightful place.
But
I still live
in the middle of
a beauty war.
And in the
fog
of the
conflict
I do not see beauty
clearly.
With battle scarred
eyes
I look at what is
ugly
and I think I see
beauty.
Please heal
my eyes.
Please restore
my heart
so I may
gaze no where else
but
see
love
worship
the beauty
that only
ever
emanates
from you.

1 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger matt e. said...

Nice post! Probably my favorite so far. Very cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home